How To Protect Intellectual property in China

Protect Intellectual property in China

Are you looking into how to protect intellectual property in China? This article will tell you what you need to do.

We have lawyers and consultants that can help you set up your business, intellectual property, trademarks, and tax compliance.

Let our team do the work for you. You don’t want to make mistakes in China.

What is IP? It’s something that you will build over many years of being in business.

For often, it is the most valuable part of a company. Before you spend a dollar on marketing or branding, you need to register your IP.

If you have a trademark in Australia or England, it does not count in China.

If you are going to do business in China, you need to register the trademark in China.

This needs to happen even if you are just doing import/export or e-commerce.

If you are already doing business in China, get one of our trademark agents to register your trademark ASAP.

If someone registers before you, you are going to have a really tough time getting it back.

You might have to spend a fortune to buy the trademark back from the person.

Where Do We Register Trademarks In China?

Trademarks in China and other IP is registered at the China National IP Administration.

This organization is abbreviated as CNIPA. They register copyrights, IP, patents, and trademarks.

You can get one of our consultants or lawyers to file the forms for you. It all has to be done in the Chinese language.

The first step is for our lawyers to do a search to see if there is already a registered trademark in China.

We will see if there is a similar logo or name. We will discuss with you the results. Hopefully, there is nothing registered yet.

If there are similar results, then your lawyer can discuss what to do next.

Protect Intellectual property in China

You might have to go to court or send demand letters. Sometimes people prefer to register their trademark outside of mainland China.

You need to continue to use your trademark. If your company is inactive, someone can register to have it cancelled.

You might want to speak to one of our lawyers to see if there are any trademarks that are going to expire soon.

You might be able to get a really good name and register it. Sometimes it’s worth waiting for a few months.

You need to protect intellectual property in China, and we can help.

Author: Alistair Vigier is the CEO of Clearway and can be reached on Wechat at: alistairvigier